Tuesday, December 13, 2016

My Ashtanga Journey - Week 3

5 - 11 Dec 2016

My 6.45am starts are getting slightly later this week. Been managing 6.55 - 7am starts. One day I started at 7.10am and that just threw the practice till quite late. Planning to get back to the earlier starts again next week but the morning (sometimes torrential) rain ain't helping. Super nice to lie in.

Playing around in front of my most favourite door in Canggu
We've been progressing quite fast with the sequence during Sara's sessions. We had 2 sessions with her this week as Rebecca was heading back home. We led and adjusted each other throughout the entire practice, from standing all the way to closing.

Was a challenge trying to remember all the poses in sanskrit plus the vinyasa counts. Kept missing a few inhales/ exhales here and there but we are getting so much more comfortable in 'teaching'.

Practised adjusting supta kurmasana, garbhapindasana, setu and wheel. Fernando's daughter became our model sometimes. She's super bendy and so easy to put her into positions. Imagine the things we can do if we started that young with ashtangis as parents!

I'm getting more and more comfortable adjusting students in class now. We are getting familiar with the regulars and know when to go to them when they need assistance. Previously, Fernando had to tell us who to assist. Now, we kinda know by instinct who needs what, when. Maricasana Cs and Ds are getting easier to adjust and so is supta kurmasana.

My personal practice is improving in leaps and bounds. Wed 7 Dec, Fernando got me to touch my heels in backbends!! I was in utter shock as I thought I was miles away from my heels. So amazingly grateful. That was the only time though as my back is starting to feel a little funny when I try deeper backbends. Couldn't do drop backs the next day. I think it's mental, not so much physical.

Right ankle is also getting much better. I can go into lotus now but with the left heel first. I can finally do ardha baddhas with my right ankle again but it's still a while to go. I also managed to get into right pasasana myself! Only once though. Plan to make that a regular thing :)

In terms of social life, I met this cool asian American from Connecticut whom I really liked the first day I met her. Alison's been to vipassana so she was telling me all about her experience. Might be something I might try in the future. Maybe not right now, but who knows.

Another Bali sista

We went to gong meditation which was like bathing in a room of amazing energy vibration waves. Felt my whole body tingling with energy moving up and down, and when the guy came around with the chimes, my heart just opened with so much love. An amazing experience, and so nice to have it beside amazing people. She's gone now. I still miss Lisa. Oh well, impermanence, as she said.

Gong meditation

One more week to go. It's going too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you...