Saturday, October 10, 2015

Spring skiing on Whakapapa, Mt Ruapehu


tried learning to ski for the first time ever 2 seasons ago. Coming from a country that has the same temperature all year round, snow was such an alien concept! 

Started with some ski lessons on Whakapapa Ski Area, Mt Ruapehu. Mt Ruapehu has the largest commercial ski area in New Zealand. As a beginner, I will definitely recommend at least one lesson with a professional as although your partner or friend knows how to ski, they are not trained in teaching. Lots of relationships can be saved with a first ski lesson. 

My hubby is actually quite a patient person so I was lucky in that respect. After 2 lessons at Happy Valley, the beginners area, he took me all the way up to the top to try to gain my confidence. The opposite happened as I cried on the way down cause I wasn't ready lol! Lesson : step by step next time! He persisted and 2 years later, I can finally ski!!


Mt Doom in te background

Spring skiing is pretty awesome on Mt Ruapehu as it has a longer season compared to the south island ski areas. Spring skiing is also warmer but there's still heaps of snow on the ground. Mt Ruapehu is a great place to learn due to a range of beginner trails up on the mountain. I personally love the Waterfall TBar area - perfect for beginner skiers. And how can you beat having Mt Doom as a backdrop??? Scenery of the surrounding Tongariro National Park is just awesome!


Isn't the scenery just gorgeous???

Yup. Make your days count. Live life to the fullest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you...